THE COMPETITION ACT
The purpose of the Competition Act of 1998 is to promote and maintain competition in South Africa to achieve the following objectives:
- To promote the efficiency, adaptability and development of the economy.
- To provide consumers with competitive prices and product choices.
- To promote employment and advance the social and economic welfare of South Africans.
- To expand opportunities for South African participation in world markets and recognises the role of foreign competition in the Republic.
- To ensure that small and medium-sized enterprises have an equitable opportunity to participate in the economy.
- To promote a greater spread of ownership, in particular to increase the ownership stakes of historically disadvantaged persons.
The Competition Act, and its various amendments can be downloaded here.
| THE COMPETITION ACT 18 OF 2018|| 13 February 2020||Download|
|THE COMPETITION ACT 89 OF 1998 || 30 October 1998 ||Download|
|COMPETITION FIRST AMENDMENT ACT 35 OF 1999 || 30 April 1999 ||Download|
|COMPETITION SECOND AMENDMENT BILL OF 2000 || 13 December 2000 ||Download|
|COMPETITION SECOND AMENDMENT ACT 39 OF 2000 || 01 February 2001 ||Download|
|COMPETITION ACT (AS AMENDED BY THE COMPETITION 2nd AMENDMENT ACT)||01 February 2001 ||Download|
|COMPETITION AMENDMENT ACT 1 OF 2009 || 01 May 2016 ||Download|
|COMPETITION AMENDMENT BILL OF 2017 || 01 December 2017 ||Download|
|THE AMENDED REGULATION 15 OF THE RULES FOR THE CONDUCT OF PROCEEDINGS IN THE COMPETITION COMMISSION||25 January 2019||Download|
|COMPETITION AMENDMENT ACT 18 OF 2018||14 February 2019||Download|
| PROCLAMATION OF COMPETITION AMENDMENT ACT 18 OF 2018|| 6 July 2019||Download |
The Rules as listed below set out detailed procedural steps to be followed when filing mergers or complaints with the various competition authorities.
RULES FOR THE CONDUCT OF PROCEEDINGS IN THE COMPETITION TRIBUNAL (PAGES 98 TO 173)
RULES FOR THE CONDUCT OF PROCEEDINGS IN THE COMPETITION COMMISSION (PAGES 5 TO 97)
RULES FOR THE CONDUCT OF PROCEEDINGS IN THE COMPETITION APPEAL COURT